World Food Programme - Senior Evaluation Officer
Vacancy: Senior Evaluation Officer P5-Head of Unit
Location: Rome, Italy
Deadline: 16 September 2018
1. Contribute to the development of evaluation strategy, policies and plans to ensure: a) timely and effective approaches to evaluating the performance and results of policies, programmes and activities; b) application of the normative framework, quality support, assessment mechanisms and reporting on decentralized evaluation.
2. Manage high profile and/or highly complex evaluation processes and budgets from preparation and design through to completion, meeting high professional standards in line with norms and standards and codes of conduct for evaluation in the UN system, embodied in WFP's Evaluation Quality Assurance System (EQAS) to ensure the production of independent, credible evidence and recommendations for future directions.
3. Source, recruit, manage and quality assure the work of external consultants to ensure the production of evaluations that meet EQAS requirements.
4. Engage stakeholder groups, both internal and external to WFP, appropriately in the evaluation process and manage communications.
5. Promote WFP's evaluation culture of accountability and learning through analyzing evidence and lessons; preparing syntheses and summaries of evaluation findings and recommendations and presenting to these, tailoring messages to specific audiences and platforms, and working with internal and external stakeholders to enhance learning from and use of evaluation evidence in policy, programme and project design.
6. Lead development and implementation of a specific stream of Office of Evaluation work-plan, as assigned by the Director, providing functional supervision and/or line management to other staff working on that stream; provide coaching and guidance to staff to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance, and/or second level quality assurance on a particular type(s) of evaluation.
7. Lead specific evaluation expertise group(s) to enable sharing of experience and development of good practice.
8. Represent the Office of Evaluation as required in inter-agency forums on monitoring and evaluation issues and in professional bodies and networks, developing strategic relationships, as appropriate, to enhance WFP performance and results.
9. Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
10. Other as required.
Standard minimum requirements
Advanced University degree in International Development, Economics, Social Science or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP's working language, Portuguese.
- Strong team management skills and proven ability to produce results to deadlines.
- 10 years or more (of which at least four international) of relevant professional experience both in the field and in Headquarters in international development or humanitarian work, evaluation and/or policy studies.
- At least 8 years' experience in managing complex, global and country-specific evaluations including inter-agency and joint evaluations.
Further details and application accessible here